The IBM Muppet Show

In an industry in-joke, Rowlf’s sales territory is expanded to include an office building, only the camera trucks in to reveal the name “Sperry-Rand,” the early IBM competitor behind the Univac. By 1967, however, the company had become embroiled in a lawsuit with Honeywell and was diminishing in importance. Still, based on his track record, sending Rowlf to sell IBM products to a competing company might be construed as an act of corporate sabotage! In addition, the acknowledgment that IBM wasn’t the only fish in the pond differed from the period in the 1940s and 1950s when corporations were afraid to acknowledge competing companies (and long before the Mac/PC ads).

Among the other highlights are a series of amusing commercial spoofs made by Rowlf. One parodies a then-current series of Timex durability ads featuring newsman John Cameron Swayze. Another, referencing Wrigley’s Doublemint Twins ads, has twin Rowlfs chanting “Double your output, double your speed! With IBM MTS MT/ST” and then typing on dual machines.The MT/ST (Magnetic Tape Selectric Typewriter) would feature far more prominently in the next film, The Paperwork Explosion.

That film –whose title was a common term in the 1960s and perceived as a side-effect of the information explosion–eschews Muppets for a more serious but still creative presentation. It’s not dissimilar in its rapid cuts and use of animation to Henson’s earlier, Oscar-nominated short Time Piece.

The Paperwork Explosion (made concurrently with a same-named print campaign) uses a talking heads approach, as various office workers and/or IBM employees discuss the problem and its solution. The cast consists of a mix of New York commercial and character actors, Henson Inc. employees (a young Frank Oz can be glimpsed smoking a cigarette and Henson’s voice is briefly heard), and actual IBM people (including David Lazer).

The short’s music was by Raymond Scott, who had worked with Henson before but is best known as the composer of that Looney Tunes staple “Powerhouse,” usually played during  assembly-line scenes. Scott’s synthesizer score is perfectly matched to the subject matter, presenting both an insistent feel to the initial problem (businesses overwhelmed by paperwork in every facet) and then to IBM’s mechanized solution.

The IBM Selectric Composer, in a photo from IBMComposer.org.

The soundtrack and pace  gradually slow to a more comfortable rhythm, as the previously shown office folks begin to investigate the ways IBM products can help, especially the MT/ST. IBM’s print “paperwork explosion” ads described it further, as “a rather remarkable typewriter that takes a secretary’s rough draft and types it back error-free at the rather remarkable rate of a page every two minutes.”Also shown in the film is the IBM Selectric Composer, an advanced typesetter used to prepare copy which would be photographed for print ads and which allowed for a choice of font. Dictation machines are presented as ways to record the office staff’s thoughts more efficiently than freehand transcription or the best secretary.

These products may look quaint and amusing today, but in the 1960s this was futuristic stuff. And the mantra, reiterated by the chorus of talking heads, is that IBM office equipment and other machines will help do the work, leaving people more time to think.

Forty odd years later, it’s not clear that technology and our increasingly digital world have freed up time to think (though unquestionably they’ve given us more to think about). Outside of deeper messages, the film is very effective salesmanship and a fascinating mixture of techniques and look at the 1960s business world (or one version of it). As with his personal films, it proves Jim Henson could do more than wiggle frogs and dogs.

And Now For the Rest of the Story….

Once work had been completed on these films, Henson and IBM ended their partnership. But the collaboration’s impact continued to be felt, and the relationship between the Muppets and technology continues to this day:

• Once personal computers and related gadgetry entered American households, the Muppets were there. In the 1980s, for instance, there was a Muppet keyboard for IBM’s infamous PC Jr and a Muppet computer literacy program for the Commodore 64. In the 1990s, there were Muppet CD-ROMs. Today, the Muppets star in several apps for the iPhone.
  • Henson scribe Jerry Juhl with animatronic Muppet at the 1964 Worlds' Fair.

• Writer Jerry Juhl remained with the Muppets, but he used his IBM experiences for his sole foray into adult literature, a 1968 science-fiction short story called “The Edward Salant Letters,” detailing the correspondence between the owner of an IBM-like dictating typewriter (called a Phonotyper) receiving automated computer responses from the manufacturer (and thus eerily foreshadowing customer service hassles of today).
  • IBM film honcho David Lazer joined Henson as a full-time executive, where, among other things, he was a producer for The Muppet Show and the movies The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. He also worked with Jim to develop and expand the “meeting film” concept. While IBM owned the original shorts, Lazer proposed making similar films which could be marketed to any business, spoofing corporate doubletalk, workplace tedium, and hard sell exhortations. These Muppet Meeting Films began in the 1970s, were significantly promoted in 1980 when new shorts were added, and remain available.
  • Following Jim Henson’s death in 1990, the Muppets experienced many ups and downs and been sold and resold, but they’re currently enjoying a resurgence, due both to an upcoming Disney movie (The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever) and–benefiting from the computer era and the Internet–a series of clever and popular viral YouTube videos (notably an acclaimed cover of “Bohemian Rhapsody”).
  • IBM may no longer make typewriters or word processors–or office-automation machinery of any sort–but it remains a technological giant. In a touching nod to the past (or more likely, just using a popular internet phenomenon as an example), its developerWorks page on the Lex parser uses the Swedish Chef translator (turning text into mock Swedish and adding the Muppet’s trademark “Bork bork”) as an example.

And Jim Henson himself? He continued to toy with computers for as long as he lived, from making “Scanimation” films for Sesame Street to hiring engineers who created some of the earliest motion-capture CGI puppetry. And after his passing, one of the most memorable tributes he received came from a computer company. No, not IBM. It was Apple that prominently featured Henson (and Kermit) among the notable minds in its famous “Think Different” campaign. Jim Henson did indeed think differently, as these early films attest.

(Andrew Leal is a freelance writer in El Paso, Texas. A lifelong Muppet fan, he serves as administrator at Muppet Wiki and contributed to the book Kermit Culture. He’s also an animation historian, with selections in the books Animation Art and The Animated Movie Guide. He completed this article without the aid of an IBM Composer.)

More tech nostalgia from Technologizer:

Fanboy! The Strange True Story of the Tech World’s Favorite Insult

The Golden Age of InfoWorld Covers, 1984-1985

Apple Rumors: The Early Years

85 comments

, ,

1. John Baxter May 31, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Wonderful piece. Thanks for the memories. I was well beyond Sesame Street age (and no kids, who would have been about right), but was acquainted with Henson's work before and after.

And my first computer printer was a modified Selectric.

• real estate December 5, 2011 at 5:54 am #

I see that any efforts and work that give any kind of help and useful informations to people anywhere must be thanked and respected efforts , if it is small or big , from one person or group , your informations also must be thanked juego de autos gratis

• john January 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

John, I don't think anyone is ever beyond Henson's muppets. flight simulator cockpit. They were and still are quite special.

2. Linas June 1, 2010 at 6:21 am #

My first i/o terminal was a Selectric — did IBM make these, or were these after-market modifications?

• Robert December 26, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

^ I doubt IBM made these, unsure though.
      @the videos. This is gold, it's been so so long since I had last seen these. Brings back sweet memories & the nostalgia 🙂
      Guess I'll make a motivational posters on this & post it on my site so as to help others enjoy these vintage vids.

3. Jim maurer June 1, 2010 at 8:07 am #

I remember seeing these when I was working at IBM when I was a senior in high school in 1974. They were great! There was also one introducing a new IBM division, the Hippie Products Division (HPD). It had Kermit The Frog introducing the new division and its first product, the IBM Electric Guitar. Salesmen assigned to this division would be required to grow their hair long. Even in 1974 the old Tom Watson grooming standards were followed by a lot of employees.

4. Bill June 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

If only IBM did consumer-orientated advertising these days 😉

—* Bill

5. Clem Dickey June 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Linas: Your I/O terminal was probably an IBM 2741.

6. Joe June 1, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Really nice article. Jim Henson is definitely an important person in recent history who positively affected millions of people.

7. ted sheckler June 2, 2010 at 5:08 am #

these clips are kind of disturbing. my god, henson was a sociopath! ax wielding monsters, cannabalism, exploding bodies? really? you can get all kumbaya over this guy but in the end he was just another 60’s loon hopped up on goofballs and jazz cigarettes.

8. Fairportfan June 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

I knew about the TV spots because my mother tried to get the ad agency she was working at in Greenville SC to buy them; another local agency bought them for one of their clients.
    I *didn't* know about these…

9. joseph loya June 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm #

facinating, so the cookie monster started eating IBM hardware before eating cookies, maybe thats why he was so grouchy, maybe he had a digestive disorder, mystery solved!

10. Steve Morgenstern June 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Thanks for the terrific article – brings back great memories. The Muppet Learning Keys were available for Commodore and Apple computers (I wrote the documentation for the product, and probably still have one hidden in the basement tech graveyard). And years later, I wrote a few meeting film scripts (in the post-IBM years).

11. hattreyhten June 18, 2010 at 2:19 am #

Read this article feel good, louis vuittonI learned a lot, I feel good this site, I will come back

12. Turnip June 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

What I want to know is, who is the guy in the last video who seems to be a dead ringer for, (and inspiration for??) the muppet Waldorf from the Muppet Show?

13. Kennesawga Garage Door Repair January 10, 2011 at 1:03 am #

I was just investigating useful blog posts to your project research and my wife and i happened to stumble for yours. Thanks for the actual helpful material!

14. builders manchester March 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Im impressed, I must say. Rarely do I find a blog thats both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your thoughts are outstanding.

IBM And The Muppets

15. cheap clothes September 2, 2011 at 2:08 am #

Wow,you have a quite exceptional view.I really wonder how you can do that.So marvelous

16. ic dealer September 26, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up! And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! Smile

17. James October 19, 2011 at 8:40 am #

It's been more than twenty years since Jim Henson tragically passed away from a bacterial infection.. 🙁

18. Cure Fungus Toenail October 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

i'm old enough to remember those… i was just a kid back then. thanks for bringing back memories!

19. Eric October 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

What a great read, this was truly an entertaining article.
    Las Vegas chiropractor

20. AlenCoder October 31, 2011 at 3:46 am #

Thanks for sharing this powerful article with us. I've been doing some research for my own link building service business, and I found your article by accident.

21. TomPeris November 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

how much is silver worth | Free Advertising | 27 weeks pregnant

22. jibran November 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

It has been seen for a couple of years that liver disease is spreading a lot.I think the main thing is the level of fats increases inside the body which will effect the lever. العاب اطفال

23. jibran November 23, 2011 at 12:17 am #

24. @Pseudofossils November 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

I grew up watching the muppets and it is still growing strong. Haha, just the other day they were showing the movies 'muppets in space' and 'muppets take manhatten' on television and I laughed my way through both of them. Free Tarot

25. jibran November 24, 2011 at 3:06 am #

It has been seen for a couple of years that liver disease is spreading a lot.I think the main thing is the level of fats increases inside the body which will effect the lever. car forums

26. SUN December 1, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Thanks for sharing this great article! This is exactly what I was looking for. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like: yeast infection treatment link building services

27. Phoenix Logo Design December 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Haha, that was actually my favorite version of the Muppets. I didn't really like them any other way.

Phoenix Logo Design
    Phoenix Graphic Design

28. John December 14, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Both the mupperts and sesame street are indeed timeless. They were my favorites and now when I introduced them to my children, they love them too. It was a smart move for IBM to team up with them.

29. Dried Peach December 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

I'm with GUMM and FRAMEY… start with simple, obvious solutions and then work your way up in complexity/time/money as needed.

30. merudh patel December 22, 2011 at 2:54 am #

This is fun to watch indeed. I really love the Muppets!

31. Peanuts January 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Its an informative topic.It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic.

32. Hvac Systems January 10, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Your article is shown in the film made by Jim Henson it is short for IBM.When Jim Henson teamed with IBM back in the last 1960.It nice article.

33. Pimples January 10, 2012 at 9:35 am #

I am very much impressed with reading the article,I find the both entertaining and educative let me tell you,You'r outstanding.

34. Edwin January 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

35. Edwin January 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

You know, I’ve been googling Improve Your Speedall day to find this Truth About Quicknesskind information. Glad you wrote Truth About Quickness Reviewabout it. Thanks!

36. Marty January 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Never heard of this but it looks nice though. TV Shows always do something even before. Great post! Keep up the good work. digital slr camera reviews

37. Office design January 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

After the success of Sesame Street in 1969, Muppet creator Jim Henson wanted to have a chance at his own series.

In 1974, Henson shot a Muppet special called The Muppets' Valentine Show, which would later become a precursor for The Muppet Show. The special starred famous muppet, Kermit the Frog, with a cast of new muppets including: George the Janitor, Droop the Anteater, Crazy Donald (later named Crazy Harry), Brewsters the oldtimer, Mildred the goose, and Rufus (later named Muppy)

Truely an amazing series:-)

38. Drying Fruits January 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Reminds me of our amiga 500 that came out in 1990. Had some pretty cool games for how old it was.

39. james January 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam dictum nulla ac erat auctor vel lobortis justo pretium. Nam ligula magna, malesuada non gravida quis, luctus et nisi. Integer non neque arcu, sed porta elit. Maecenas sollicitudin vehicula sapien vel condimentum. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. los vazquez sounds

40. iksha158 January 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

This was really helpful. Thank you for posting this! I am wondering why they made the program so hard to use if it requires that much work?
    hotel davos

41. iksha158 February 13, 2012 at 1:40 am #

Immobilien
    This post creates great impression into my mind, the explanation, content quality, purpose are very good and very much helpful.

42. jones123peter February 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Technologizer has an excellent feature walking through the history of the unconventional collaboration.Bali activities

43. herrywillson February 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
    webdesign

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Alexia Golez – Red Links 01/06/10 - June 1, 2010

[…] When IBM met the muppets. […]

2. The Muppets’ 1967 IBM Sales Films | JetLib News - June 1, 2010

[…] writes “Forty-three years ago, before most people had ever heard of the Muppets, IBM contracted with Jim Henson for a series of short films that it used to educate and entertain its sales staff. These […]

3. The IBM Muppet Show « Noah's Journal - June 1, 2010

[…] This is the result. […]

4. Die IBM Muppet Show | Banedon's Cyber-Junk - June 1, 2010

[…] Comments Feed via technologizer.com […]

5. Top Posts — WordPress.com - June 1, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show IBM. The Muppets. Two venerable institutions-but not ones we tend to associate with each other. Yet in the late 1960s, […] […]

6. IBM and the MUPPETS! « Chasing Men Who Stare at Arrays - June 1, 2010

[…] shenanigans uncovered a GREAT post made by my friend, George Spofford in Facebook: IBM and the Muppets – NO […]

7. Centennial Man | singlesski.co.uk - June 2, 2010

[…] https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ […]

8. The IBM Muppet Show « I'm Totally Serious, Bro - June 2, 2010

[…] [technologizer.] […]

9. links for 2010-06-02 « POPMODERNE - June 2, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show Before Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, Jim Henson made short films for Big Blue. The tech may be archaic, but the entertainment is timeless. (tags: fun muppets computer Companies) […]

10. TekJoos - TekJoos - June 2, 2010

[…] People complain about celebrities shilling for mega-corporations all the time. Shameless product placement in Lady Gaga videos! Verizon ads own ‘30 Rock’! But the nefarious relationship between commerce and culture goes further back, like when Jim Henson teamed with IBM back in the late 1960s to have his then-unknown Muppets lead instruction videos for the tech giant’s sales team. [From: Technologizer] […]

11. Before Sesame Street and The M… : JoeySichol.com - June 2, 2010

[…] Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, Jim Henson made short films for IBM https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ MORE: Twitter | […]

12. links for 2010-06-02 « David Wicks: Educational Technology - June 2, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show Who knew? The muppets used to work for IBM? http://bit.ly/cz5to3 /via @Larryferlazzo (tags: via:packrati.us) […]

13. links for 2010-06-03 « Ondas, cables, luces, cacharritos y cachivaches - June 3, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show Videos de los teleñecos para IBM, de los '60 y '70 (tags: advertising history ibm muppets youtube 60 70) Dejar un comentario […]

14. The Power Geeks #53 - ThePowerGeeks.com - June 3, 2010

[…] Muppets Advertise for IBM […]

15. The IBM Muppet Show « dadsbigplan - June 5, 2010

[…] are a lot more here. posted @ June 5th, 2010 in Muppets, Short Film | Tags: coffee, Cookie Monster, ibm | […]

16. My delicious.com bookmarks for June 2nd through June 6th ~ This is ZX81.org.uk - June 6, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show – "IBM. The Muppets. Two venerable institutions-but not ones we tend to associate with each other. Yet in the late 1960s, before most people had ever seen a computer in person or could identify a Muppet on sight, the two teamed up when IBM contracted with Jim Henson for a series of short films designed to help its sales staff." Share: […]

17. Library Monk – the blog of Dan Greene » Blog Archive » From Dan on Twitter this Week - June 6, 2010

[…] Kermit the Frog here. Can I interest you in an IBM? https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ […]

18. DAS KRÜMELMONSTER ENTSPRANG EINEM IBM WERBESPOT - Vice Germany - June 7, 2010

[…] Technologizer […]

19. links for 2010-06-07 « Wild Webmink - June 7, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show Lovely historical footage. (tags: IBM Muppets) […]

20. The IBM Muppet Show | SimulationsRaum - June 7, 2010

[…] Linktipp von [email protected]: Ein Text und etliche Filmclips auf […]

21. El Show de los Muppets en IBM « STI – El Asociado de IBM - June 7, 2010

[…] Sigue… […]

22. CCT#262 – Chuck is Not Here, Leave a Message – 206.222.2428 | Technorama - June 9, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show […]

23. The IBM Muppet Show @ Guy DOYEN - June 9, 2010

[…] Technologizer Divers geek, humour, IBM, Muppet […]

24. CCT#266 – Chuck is Not Here, Leave a Message – 206.222.2428 | Technorama - June 10, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show […]

25. 6/1 « Landis Vinchattle - June 12, 2010

[…] https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ Muppet sketches for IBM commercials […]

26. DAS KRÜMELMONSTER ENTSPRANG EINEM IBM WERBESPOT - Vice AT - June 18, 2010

[…] Filme)—aus einem der ersten IBM Aufnahmen, fügte er der Sesamstraßen-Besetzung hinzu. Der Technologizer […]

27. links for 2010-06-03 | videos del titanic - June 22, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show Videos de los teleñecos para IBM, de los '60 y '70 (tags: advertising history ibm muppets youtube 60 70) […]

28. Tweeted This Week 2010-07-04 - July 3, 2010

[…] Henson's short IBM films: https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ […]

29. Chad's News – The Muppets Do IBM - July 6, 2010

[…] https://technologizer.com/…(via […]

30. IBM Muppets « PaintedMare - August 6, 2010

[…] https://technologizer.com/2010/05/31/ibm-muppets/ […]

31. On the slightly lighter edge of darkness. « a fnersh rambling - August 10, 2010

[…] The Muppets used to work for IBM. […]

32. How IBM Sold Tech in the Eisenhower Era « gamestopmafia.com - August 30, 2010

[…] in May, we told you about some industrial films that IBM commissioned from the Muppets in the 1960s. The decade before that, the office-equipment giant was a major advertiser in glossy […]

33. Show #173 – September 5, 2010 - September 7, 2010

[…] the subject of old videos, here’s an article from Technologizer.com with several of the sales and training videos Jim Henson made for […]

34. Winner.....Last post - Page 266 - September 9, 2010

[…] Hah … I'm the winner … plus, I've learnt recently — to my surprise — that Jim Henson was also doing commercials for IBM. […]

35. The IBM Muppet Show « Rylan's Blog - October 1, 2010

[…] The IBM Muppet Show […]

36. Osborne! - April 1, 2011

[…] When the Muppets Worked for IBM […]

37. Rückblick: Das Krümelmonster machte ursprünglich Werbung für IBM - NETZWELT - May 27, 2011

[…] Bericht Technologizer […]

38. Polaroid’s SX-70: The Art and Science of the Nearly Impossible - June 8, 2011

[…] When the Muppets Worked for IBM […]

39. For a smile: Revisiting the Past: IBM and Muppet Films (via my nephew) | Tech Ahmet - Daily Updated Technology Site - July 10, 2011

[…] -IBM Muppet Show,  Technologizer  Harry McCracken  5/31/10 […]