By Jared Newman | Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 8:28 pm
The Playstation Network outage that began last Wednesday has continued through the weekend, as Sony rebuilds the network in the wake of a security breach.
Sony is no longer estimating when PSN will be back online. On Thursday, the company only expected the outage to last a day or two.
Sony confirmed on Friday that the network was hacked, or in spokesman Patrick Seybold’s words, affected by an “external intrusion.” This caused Sony to shut down PSN entirely, along with the Qriocity service. Now, Seybold says the company is working around the clock to restore access.
“Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure,” Seybold wrote on the official Playstation Blog. “Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.”
Hacking group Anonymous claims that it wasn’t involved in the attack, but didn’t rule out the possibility that individual members acted alone. The group, which has a vendetta against Sony for suing PS3 hacker George Hotz, has previously attacked Sony websites.
The big unanswered question now, aside from when PSN will be back up, is whether any user information or credit card numbers were exposed during the breach. Answering that question, I’d argue, should be the top priority.
[UPDATE: An unnamed Sony source told Playstation Universe that PSN's Japanese servers may be restored on Monday, and that U.S. and Europe servers would follow on Tuesday. So far, this information is unconfirmed.]
[UPDATE 2: Sony told PC World that it doesn't yet know whether credit card numbers were stolen.]
[UPDATE 3: Sony now says all users' personal information was compromised, and credit cards may have been compromised as well. More details here.]