Phone gossip/rumor/scuttlebutt/leak kingpin Boy Genius has a post at his site reporting on what an AT&T exec is supposedly saying about the next generation iPhone. BG says the tidbits he’s reporting are 100% confirmed. But they’re also, well, 100% obvious:
- There will be a new iPhone announcement around mid-June (logical enough–Apple’s Phil Schiller openly told the New York Times’ David Pogue that Apple tries to follow a June release schedule for the iPhone);
- “New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience” (it would be startling if Apple didn’t put a speedier chip in the new phone, and with features such as cut and paste, the iPhone 3.0 OS qualifies as being a whole lot more seamless);
- AT&T will release an iPhone client for its U-Verse broadband TV/DVR service (the company has said it’s working on one, and I’ve gotten a glimpse of it running on an iPhone myself);
- It’s “becoming a tradition” to release iPhones on an annual schedule (you think?)
- This Summer will be exciting!
- AT&T is working with Apple to create a unified experience across its platforms (a good U-Verse client for the iPhone will certainly qualify as that);
- iPhone 3.0 shows where the iPhone is going (pretty much by definition, surely);
- People should pick their AT&T phone based on personal preferences, not features (Boy Genius then starts talking about an iPhone with a slide-out keyboard, but I think he’s riffing rather than predicting or speculating);
- Higher-speed HSDPA Internet access is being “hinted” at.
Boy Genius himself–who isn’t always right, but who unquestionably has some great sources within big companies–says that some of this stuff is not news. Despite his promise of 100% confirmation, I’m not assuming it’s all going to come true, either–the new iPhone’s schedule could slip, or it could turn out to be no faster than today’s model. Here’s hoping that the next iPhone, whatever it is, is worthy of gossip that’s more scintillating than this–in other words, that it’s something more than an iPhone 3G that’s a little thinner, a little sexier, a little faster, a little cheaper, and preloaded with the 3.0 software…